Monday, February 24, 2014

Happy Birthday to My Baby Boy

First, I want to thank you all for letting me vent on the last two posts. I needed a minute. Things are still touch and go but I will write about that a bit more later. For today I just want to write a quick post about the day my life changed forever.
photo from: www.telegraph.co.uk

As most of you know, my husband and I chose a different route to become a family. I believe biology is just a science term and isn't necessary for me to love and nurture a child. Fourteen years ago I got the chance to put that belief to the test, and believe me I passed with flying colors.

My son turns 14 today and I couldn't love him any more if I tried. Watching him grow from a baby 4-days old to the happy, sometimes moody, sports-loving young man he is today has been a dream come true. Even though I've been here for every moment of it, I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.

I don't blog about him much because he likes his privacy, but there is no way I could let this day pass without giving thanks for him and for being the blessed woman that God chose to be his mom.

I know that I have said this before, but for those of you desperate to start your family, I encourage you to really look into adoption. It has blessed my life in ways I can't even explain. What if my husband and I had decided not to take this journey? I wouldn't know this amazing child. I am the one that gets to hear the stories about his basketball games (sometimes I miss them if my daughter has an appointment), I am the one he hugs when no one is watching (he is too big to hug mom in public), I am the one that gets to argue with him over the latest basketball shoe that he wants me to buy for $200 because we just can't get the ones that came out three weeks ago and are now on sale, and I am the one that gets to help guide him into the man he will become. What an honor.

In truth, I am thankful that there is more than one way to create a family because it has allowed me to know the child I am proud to call son. Happy Birthday to My Baby Boy! No matter how old he gets he is still my baby (don't tell him I said that).

No comments:

Post a Comment