Monday, February 8, 2016

From Stacey Dash to Cam Newton

So I can’t believe it’s been so long! But this time I have a really good excuse. I had a small surgical procedure just before Christmas. I have had a few setbacks since the surgery and needed to concentrate on getting my body together. I am still not 100% but hey, I am working with it.

There has been a boat load of action since my last post right?! I don’t know where in the world to begin but there are a few things I just can’t pass up. First, what is up with Stacey Dash? I think she’s totally lost her mind. Yes, she is a commentator for Fox News, a station I hate. And she is a Republican – completely her choice. I won’t say I’ve never voted for a Republican when I thought they better represented issues important to me. I proudly voted for Charlie Christ when he was a Republican and would do it again. My problem is her radical views about what it means to be Black in America. 

The latest bout of ridiculous – she thinks we should do away with Black History Month. Anthony Anderson recently took her to task on that idiotic idea during his hosting duties for the NAACP Image Awards. How anyone can think that African Americans are represented well enough in the past or the present that we no longer need Black History Month is beyond my ability to comprehend. Just look around – for the second year in a row, Hollywood has thumbed its nose at the great accomplishments of Black actors, groups are targeting Black churches and it seems many are killing Black males for sport.  And if you think they are teaching our youth about the achievements and contributions of people of color in school you are delusional. Take for example the years that we were told Columbus discovered America. I know my history class wasn’t the only one teaching that when we were younger. How do you “discover” land that was already inhabited when you got there?

The fact is for all of the movement we’ve made in the attempt to eradicate racism, it is still a strong thread in the fabric of this country. People of color aren’t always given the credit due for the things they’ve done to benefit ALL Americans. Until that happens, and until we teach an American History that recognizes the achievements of EVERYONE, we still need Black History Month.

That’s just my two sense on silly Stacey. And then there was Cam. That game last night was brutal, and there has been much talk about Cam’s post game interview. A few moments ago, a sports program actually analyzed how many questions he was asked and how many words he used to answer each question. Really? I think that’s a bit overkill. I think more time has been spent analyzing and criticizing Cam’s post game behavior than on condemning and reporting on Johnny Manziel and the fact that he hit his girlfriend so hard he may have ruptured her ear drum. Let’s take the time to chastise THAT behavior, and why his ex seems to be reluctant to press charges – let’s pick that a part and ask people to weigh in on it, condemn it, and criticize it.


P.S. You may not be a Lady Gaga fan (I know I am not into her music) but she SANG that National Anthem!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment