Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 1 And I am in Trouble Already

So like most people, I start the New Year thinking about one or two things I want to work on changing in my life. And like most, I start out with great gusto, only to lose steam around February or March. One thing I always say I want to work on his being a better steward of the money God has given me.

I am guilty of what many others may struggle with. I can spend $10 or $20 in a day without really knowing where it went. Financially speaking, we are fine and thank God, we make what is needed to pay our bills and care for our family.  But I want to see if I have what it takes to get better at knowing where my money is going and how I can work smarter not harder.

So today, I started the 21-Day Financial Fast, based on a book by syndicated financial columnist Michelle Singletary.  She challenges you to only buy what you need for 21 days. It is biblical take on money and what God wants to see us do with it. I am hoping to learn how to put practices into place that will be pleasing to God. If I want Him to bless me with more, I have to show Him that I can put what He has given me to the best use possible.

Already I can see a few challenges in my future, for example, today I had a lunch meeting with one of my daughter's therapists. After reading (or listening in my case) to chapter 1, I know the plan is for me to bring my lunch from home, but today, that wasn't possible. I set up this meeting last week before I started the project.

But my hope is that the more I pay attention to what I am spending my money on the more I won't make those impulse purchases that often lead to that candy bar (or potato chips, God how I love sour cream and cheddar ruffles) to the purse that was marked down and 40% off that I didn't need because when I got it home, I realized I had one very similar to it already in my growing collection.

Another thing discussed in today's chapter was not using gift cards or allowing others to purchase things for us that aren't a necessity. Well,  I didn't listen to chapter 1 until after I'd already used my Wawa's gift card to get the morning cup of coffee I woke up too late to make at home. I figured hey, it was a gift card, I didn't actually spend the $1.06! Man, this is gonna be rough.

Getting this thing right is going to force me to plan better. I mean, it may only be a $1.00 for the coffee, but really, what is the point when I have a coffee maker and coffee at home? It isn't the amount I am spending, just the fact that I am buying something I've already paid for and have at home.

My ultimate goal is to see just how much unnecessary spending I do in a month. There are things I want to upgrade at home, and cutting back my spending on things I just don't have to have will help me be able to do that - because no matter how much you make, everyone's money has limits. Now, I know, limiting my cup-of-joe from Wawas in the mornings won't remodel my bathroom, but it's symbolic of the over consumption many of us, including me, take part in.

I'll update you every few days and let you know how it's going, and what I've discovered about myself. Wish me luck - I'm gonna need it!



No comments:

Post a Comment