Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dating on a Budget

So, I saw a survey about this recently and wondered what others thought about it. Say you just met a guy or girl, and you’re out on your first date.  It’s time to pay and your date is treating you.  The bill comes, it’s checked for accuracy and then, just as it’s time to pay, your date pulls out a coupon!
How would you feel about it? According to Kiplinger.com, about 15% of those surveyed said they would be offended and some said they would not agree to a second date. Some websites recommend not using a coupon on a first date as it may be offensive to some.
But if 15% said they would be offended, that means the remaining 85% were OK with it, right? I think I’d take my chances and go with the 85%. I have a son and I feel for the poor thing when he is old enough to date. Have you seen the cost of a movie ticket?! My goodness, he will go broke just taking the girl to the movies and buying a drink and popcorn! And that’s not considering if you go to dinner before or after the movie.

I figure if a guy has a coupon and wants to use it, what’s the big deal?  I mean, he’s paying for the meal, not you, so it’s free to you either way.
When you take a look at how the cost of almost everything is skyrocketing, people have to find a way to save any way they can. I want my son to date as he gets older, and I am old fashioned, so I want him to pay. What I don’t want is to go broke in the process, cuz let’s face it, even if he has a part time job, mom and dad are still going to have to give him some money
It’s funny, my son sometimes rolls his eyes as I search for my coupon for groceries or items I buy at the mall – that is, until he wants to buy some shoes, (and I am not paying for them) then he asks, “Ma, can you see if you have a coupon?”

So I say clip away. I mean, what, does the food taste differently if you use a coupon to help with the cost? Just beware, my son will be able to date in a few years, if your daughter doesn’t like the idea of eating with a coupon… um, he might not be the one for her.  Who am I kidding, knowing my son, he won’t want to use the coupon anyway - unless of course, he’s using his money and not mom and dad’s!

What do you think? Is it wrong to use a coupon on a first date and if so, when is it OK to do so? 

No comments:

Post a Comment