Thursday, July 17, 2014

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!


Thirteen years ago today my youngest child was born. I don’t know a lot about her birth or what happened as she took her first breath and cried for the first time. I met her two years later. She was a shy toddler trying to figure out what was happening in her little world as she came to live with us.

She was cute as a button and we bonded over shoes. I think I have told this story before, but in the beginning she was understandably scared and wondering what was going on. But I took her to a shoe store to get her foot sized for new shoes. She looked at me and said “mommy, new shoes for me?” I said, “yes pumpkin, new shoes for you!” I have been mommy ever since.

I know that most of you know my baby is also my special needs child. And I know that many of you wonder that if I had known about the extent of her issues before the adoption would we have gone through with it. I also know that many people who consider adoption are often terrified that they might end up with a child with more issues than they think they can handle.  Here’s how I feel: I can’t go back in time. I didn’t get all of the information I should have before our adoption, can't undo that now. She belongs to me, because it’s what God wanted for both us. And trust me, giving birth doesn’t mean you won’t have a child with special needs. 

It’s always funny to me, no one asks a biological mom: “Hey, if you had known your baby was going to have a disability, would you have gotten pregnant?” But they don’t’ have any trouble asking me if I would have adopted if I had known - some even talk about how nice it is that we haven’t given her back. Seriously?!

If you’ve ever met my baby girl you would know, she is much more than her disability. She is funny, kind, loyal, helpful, and loads of fun to be with. Does she have her moments? Oh my God yes! Are there times when I can become overwhelmed, absolutely! But you know, so can any parent, of any child.

I know that adoption isn’t for everyone - but where would my baby be if we hadn’t adopted her? Would she get the help she needs? Would she get the love she needs? Would she have ended up with someone who could easily toss her aside once things got tough? Luckily, my baby will never have to wonder about any of that. But without parents willing to adopt no matter what, there are a lot of kids who will have to wonder, and that makes me sad.

I am proud to be the mom of a 13-year-old special needs child. I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s the road God has set for me and I proudly, without reservation or hesitation, accept my role. She is one of the biggest blessings of my life.


So happy birthday baby girl! Mommy loves you, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment