Sunday, July 13, 2014

Buying for a Special Needs Child can be a REAL Challenge

So, I have fallen off the wagon Big Time! So here goes... Bless me Father for I have sinned... It's been weeks since my last post. There, forgive me? Since my self imposed hiatus, GRAND THINGS have happened! My niece and nephew (Jason & Jordan) graduated from high school, Jordan is now in summer session at FAMU (the greatest University in the world!), my nephew leaves for FAU in the fall (I know, not FAM but I love him anyway), my son is preparing for high school, I am desperately working to declutter my home and life, and I am preparing for my baby girl's 13th birthday!  Whew! That is waaaaay too much! Remind me NEVER to wait this long to blog ever again! And yeah, I am probably forgetting a few things.

So where to begin. I will talk more about the day my little girl became mine on July 17 (her big day), but planning this party has given me a little insight I want to share. If you have a special needs child, give family and friends a break when it comes to presents. Take my baby girl. Physically she will be 13. But socially and emotionally she is MUCH younger. It makes figuring out what to buy really tough. They don't want to get a gift that might offend mom or dad because it's for a younger child, but you also don't want to get a gift that's too advanced that the child can't use it.

So here's a tip for those in gift-buying limbo- find out a favorite store and go with a gift card. It's easier and much less worry. And for mom's and dad's of special needs kids, try not to take offense if a friend or family member thinks a toy for ages 6-8 might be good for your 11-year-old. Navigating the special needs world is tricky for everyone. Sometimes I struggle with it. Do I buy the age appropriate gift and try to encourage her, even though at 13 that most likely involves tablets, phones, jewelry, etc. when I know she can't keep earrings on for a full day without losing them, so keeping up with a phone is out. Or, do I buy the Doc McStuffins doll I know she will LOVE and is a lot less expensive if (or most likely when) she loses it, even though Doc is for a WAY younger child?
Um, for now, while we still work on responsibility, keeping up with our own things, self advocating when a much younger child snatches mommy's IPOD from you, (need I go on?), I'm going with Doc all the way!

Yes, I know that all kids often struggling with keeping up with their things. Heck, I am a grown woman and each time I get up from a table I check to make sure I have all my stuff. But the difference is when a child without a disability is irresponsible with their things, you can use it as a teaching moment, with many special needs kids, they don't get the connection. They lost it? Oh well.

I know you can't group all special needs kids into one category, but I say be realistic and be patient with friends and family. They love your child too and no matter the gift, it is true what they say.. it's the thought that counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment