Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Mom & Her Son

Mother and daughter relationships are really special. You can share girlie things, go to the nail salon together, shop for clothes and get each other's opinion, or just window shop. Even though I have a special needs little girl, I still get to enjoy those types of things. It is great to experience and I love it.

But there is also something special about a mom and her boy. As I said a few posts back, I don't talk much about my baby boy (so he is almost 14 but he is still MY baby). He is a teenager and anyone who has lived through the teen years with a child knows what that means. Sometimes you wanna drop them off on an island and go back for them when they turn 25 or so. Even with the mood swings, attitude, laziness with school work (I could go on but why depress myself?), all of it - I still LOVE  having a son. It's neat to see things from  a guy's perspective (other than his dad - sorry honey). He gets so excited about basketball and he actually does more than just watch it, he analyzes it! He talks like a sports commentator. I love it when he is obviously happy that I am in attendance at his basketball games even though he tries to act cool with it.

And when no one is watching (except for maybe his dad or sister) he will lay his head on mommy's shoulder and remind me that even though he is cool and too old to have me fuss over him, he still likes to get a hug from mom now and then.

It has been amazing to watch him grow and change. One day his voice was tiny and a bit high-pitched, and the next it was so low I almost didn't recognize it. A few weeks ago I picked him up from the bus and swore he had grown during the school day.

We are giving him a bit more responsibility as he grows and it is wonderful to gently guide him while he makes decisions about how to spend his money or his free time. The other day he made me so proud. It was during the Thanksgiving break and we were going out bowling as a family. I asked him if he wanted to eat before we left, he said no. I asked again since he hadn't had a bite all day and by this time it was about noon or a bit after. Again he said no. I took a snack to the bowling alley because my baby girl has to have a snack! I brought enough for my son in case he decided he wanted a bite. After bowling we stopped off at the mall and he said "ma, can I get some of that snack? I was fasting that's why I didn't eat earlier but when you showed me those rice crispy treats the second time I knew it was time to eat!"

His desire to participate  in fasting lets me know that he is learning and growing and paying attention to what his dad and I are trying to teach him. We pray each morning on the way to school and I encourage him to pray for guidance during the school day.

I am grateful that God chose my husband and I to raise this exceptional young man. He is a great kid and I am always so happy to see him at the end of the work and school day. Yes he can still be moody and good grief he can get on my  nerves! But that's what teens do I guess. No matter how much he may frustrate me from time to time, I am still proud to be his mom and I am honored to call him son.


No comments:

Post a Comment