Saturday, March 14, 2015

I Finished the Financial Fast Weeks Ago... But I Am Still Applying What I Learned



I started off really well, I really did. My intention was to blog every few days about the Financial Fast and my progress... we see how well the went over don't we?

Periodically I fall off the blog wagon and I go several weeks without sending anything out. And while this was one of those times, there was still a lot I learned that I wanted to share.

The Fast was hard and I didn't stick to it 100 percent. As I told you in previous posts, there were parts that just were not practical for me.  But I did learn a lot about myself and the power of suggestion.

First, I learned I get way too many emails from companies looking to help me part with my money. I am a deal seeker - anyone who reads this blog or knows me even a little bit can tell you that. But sometimes too much of a good thing is bad too. I get dozens of emails a day, some from sites that seek out great deals and summarize them for me. Sounds good right? Maybe. But I learned that I would end up buying items that while they were a great deal, I didn't really have to have at that time and if it weren't for the site, I wouldn't have known about the great sale and wouldn't have made the purchase at all. Basically, it wasn't a item I really needed - good deal or not.

I also realized just how desperate retailers are to get you to buy. One email from a retailer said it was was a great day to buy simply because it was Ground Hog Day - that is pretty pathetic. The Fast made it easier for me to delete a lot of emails not matter how tempting the sale sounded. Using cash was an interesting experience.  Nowadays, people in my age bracket (and younger) rarely carry cash. It was a pain at first, but it was eye-opening. You can swipe, and swipe without really seeing where your money is going. Then, when you take a breath and check your statement online, you are shocked to learn you've swiped a lot more than you realized.

Finally, the book gave me the chance to really take a look at whether or not I was really being the best steward over the money God has given to me. I mean, how many pairs of shoes and purses does one girl  need? And how can I really pray for a raise or a promotion when I may not be doing my best with what I have already? When I really took a good look in my closet and my home in general I realized that I just have WAY too much stuff. And organizing all of the stuff only leads to stress (cuz we all know organization is always on my to do list). So I've made spring cleaning a year round event, constantly looking for things I can donate or that I really just need to throw away.

It's been going pretty well. See, I've been so busy purging that  I haven't had the time to blog (that's my story and I'm, sticking to it). I'll keep you posted on the purge. There's no telling what items
I've purchased, lost and purchased again that I may find in the process... wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment